Steal Like An Artist - By Austin Kleon
Who is it for: People who are afraid to start or are looking for inspiration to improve.
Because of copyright laws and general ego, there is always a fear that you're being unoriginal when you're creating. Steal Like an Artist, by Austin Kleon, gives the advice that others have been afraid to give. Allowing yourself to be influenced by other works will help you to grow as an artist.
And that's just the first of ten parts:
- Steal like an artist.
- Don’t wait until you know who you are to get started.
- Write the book you want to read.
- Use your hands.
- Side projects and hobbies are important.
- The secret: do good work and share it with people.
- Geography is no longer our master.
- Be nice. (The world is a small town.)
- Be boring. (It’s the only way to get work done.)
- Creativity is subtraction.
It also takes a brave stance for brevity, getting straight to the point. It's a nice change from the meandering and quote-filled books I've gotten used to. The whole thing can be read in one or two sittings. If you're looking for inspiration, or the will to get started, there's no reason not to pick it up.
Buying the book from this link will help support Omusing.com
Also, be sure to check out Austin Kleon's Ted Talk.